Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Maybe minivans aren't so bad

Previous to this article, there seemed to be a definite bias against the Routan among Canadian columnists. At best, they would damn with faint praise. Ms. Gray took the Routan for face value. Rather than ranting that "it's just a Dodge Grand Caravan," she accepted the collaboration of Volkswagen and Chrysler to build a people mover that had "spunk, style, and major space." Thank you, Kim Gray, for accepting good where it is, rather picking on all the things one might wish were included.

Calgary Herald

By Kim Gray, Calgary HeraldMarch 15, 2010

One of the great perks that comes with writing a regular column is reader feedback.…

Last spring, I wrote a story featuring my thoughts on the minivan as a seriously unsexy mode of domestic travel.

I had no way to predict the debate it would stir. Nor did I imagine I would soon find myself test-driving a series of modern day mom-mobiles for a followup article.

I drove everything from popular minivans like the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna ( "you have to drive one to understand the attraction," I was told) to the funky Ford Flex (which evoked strong opinions in favour and against everywhere I went) to sporty, high-end Acura and Volvo SUVs (nothing like being swathed in luxury as one navigates her way to the grocery store.)

What interests me about this story -- more than the fact that mothers pretty much fall into two distinct camps (pro-and anti-minivan) -- is the fact that not only is the modern mom passionate about her choice of vehicle, but her tastes are shaping the future of car design. …

Reached last week in Florence, Italy -- where Volkswagen was releasing its first hybrid (an intermediate luxury Touareg SUV targeted to families) -- Volkswagen Canada spokesperson Peter Viney says he won't say the influence of women on future car design is 100 per cent -- "but I will say it has become a huge, overwhelming influence."

Of all the vehicles I test-drove, one did stand out from the crowd -- though I'm hesitant to name it given my previous, possibly obnoxious, position on minivans.

It was a microbus.

A black lacquer VW Routan.

The Routan -- an effort by Volkswagen in collaboration with Chrysler to meet the needs of families looking for more space -- had spunk, style and major space.

Go figure. A minivan with mojo. …

On behalf of moms everywhere -- no matter what their preference -- I salute this new-found trend.

Again, columnists can't always predict where a story will take them.

But I've thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

Kim Gray -- whose column runs in The Calgary Herald every third Monday of each month -- is a journalist and mother of two. She welcomes your feedback and story ideas at modernfamily@theherald.canwest.com

Her Modern Family blog can be found at calgaryherald.com/blogs

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

blog comments powered by Disqus