Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The six-year wait is over

and then there were four… blog
Okay, so I was never “waiting”, but, after six years of being a one-car family, about three weeks ago we finally went out and not only got a second vehicle, but became a mini-van family.
Monroeville, PA: Volkswagen RoutanImage by harry_nl via FlickrPlus, I finally fulfilled my dream of owning a Volkswagen. True, it isn’t the Jetta I always dreamed of having, but dreams change, and I couldn’t be happier with our decision.
We have been talking of getting a second car probably since we got pregnant with Olivia. On and off we would say “well, eventually we’ll need a second car”. But if you know anything about Bill and I, you know that we are incredibly indecisive about the simplest of things:… So you can only imagine how we are when it comes to something as huge as a new (or, new to us) car. So for the past four years we have gotten by on running errands on the weekends and at night when Bill got home. He has been able to take time off for doctor appointments and I have been able to walk within a 1.5 mile radius of our home to get to the park, swimming lessons; … We often relied on friends and family in situations where Bill couldn’t get away from work. While not exactly convenient at times, it worked and I didn’t feel that I was missing out on too much….
But, I knew that I couldn’t rely on [them]forever, so Bill and I got down to business and after going through a lot of ads online and thinking I would NEVER find a car we could A.) Afford and B.) Live with; we saw that a dealership about an hour away from us had three pre-owned 2009 VW Routans available for just under our budget.
Bill had test driven a new Routan a few months back and we both LOVED it, had almost gotten one, but the deal that was promised was not what they ended up offering and we walked away. While I was a little disappointed, I couldn’t fathom spending what they wanted us to spend, so when we saw this online special Bill told me to not get my hopes up. I was cautiously optimistic.
Still, we drove the hour to the dealership, I test drove the Routan, loved it and then Bill and the dealer went to work. I swear to you, my husband impressed me so much with his ability to negotiate. I never knew he had it in him! I actually walked away and took the girls back to our car because I knew he had it under control and everything would be fine.

And it was!
Now the girls are asking me when we are having more babies since we have room “for two more!”
Enhanced by Zemanta
blog comments powered by Disqus